skip to main skip to sidebar

Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Mississippi Press: Troy Ross pushes incumbent Tommy Brodnax out of running for District 4 supervisor seat


PASCAGOULA, Mississippi -- Republican Troy Ross ousted incumbent Jackson County Supervisor from his District 4 seat in Tuesday's runoff election and will go on to face Democrat Bo Alawine in the Nov. 8 general election.

"I want to thank Mr. Brodnax for his service to the county, and I hope to be half the supervisor he's been in the past," Ross said. "I think moving forward that we can do a lot of good things for the county."

Going into the supervisor post, Ross said Fort Bayou Road would be among his top priorities.

"It should have been a priority before, but now with the schools there it is a safety issue for the kids and parents dropping their children off," he said. "We need to work with other supervisors to make sure we have funding to complete that project."

The Cedar Grove and Windsor Park areas also need some attention, he said.

"They has some major drainage issues that we need to prioritize and start working on," he said.

Ross and Brodnax defeated candidate James "Ralph" Cruthirds in the Aug. 2 Republican primary.

If Ross, 32, succeeds in November, he will vacate his Ocean Springs alderman seat, and a special city election would be held for his replacement. Ross was elected to his first term on the Ocean Springs board in 2009.

County supervisors serve four-year terms and are paid $45,000 annually.

"I am disappointed that I didn't win, but I've been defeated before," Brodnax said.

Brodnax garnered the most votes during the primary, but he couldn't maintain his momentum during the runoff.

"I know that whenever you get defeated, you just pack up and go to the house when your term ends," he said. "But I will do my job until the end of my term, and I will give my successor my full support."

Brodnax first became supervisor in 1982 and has served one half term and four full terms as supervisor. Before that, he was on the Jackson County Board of Education for four years.

"I've been defeated twice before and was out of office for 12 years," he said. "But I've been the comeback kid."


By April M. Havens, The Mississippi Press

Tuesday, August 23, 2011, 8:01 PM

Subscribe to my Newsletter by Email

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites